Upgrades underway to improve KTM Butterworth, Penang Sentral and ferry connectivity

Admin
whatsapp image 2026 01 19 at 17.35.36

THE state government is ready to listen to public feedback and complaints regarding the KTM Butterworth-Penang Sentral connectivity and the Penang Ferry Terminal.

 

State Transport and Infrastructure Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari said this during his site visit to KTM Butterworth and Penang Sentral yesterday.

 

According to Zairil, numerous complaints were received following an incident on Nov 8 last year, when an empty six-car KTM Komuter train overshot the end of the track at Butterworth station and struck the station building.

 

“Recently, the state government received complaints from the public, particularly concerning inconvenience and connectivity issues.

whatsapp image 2026 01 19 at 17.35.34 (1)
(right) Zairil speaking to media during the press conference

 

“During this site visit, it was observed that significant upgrades have been completed and more are underway by the relevant agencies,” he said during a press conference held at the site.

 

He said the agencies involved include Railway Assets Corporation (RAC) as the asset owner, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB), Public Works Department (JKR), and Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad (MRCB), the operator of Penang Sentral.

 

Zairil noted that for safety reasons, the pedestrian pathway connecting KTM Butterworth station and Penang Sentral was temporarily closed for one and a half months following the incident, causing inconvenience to passengers.

 

“These issues have now been addressed. The 200-meter-long pathway is air-conditioned and meets universal design standards and technical requirements,” he said.

 

While acknowledging some users may still find it inconvenient to carry luggage along the walkway, Zairil said walking at a slower pace should make it more manageable, as the pathway meets accessibility standards.

whatsapp image 2026 01 19 at 17.35.34
(front row, left) Zairil and other representatives from the relevant agencies on a site to KTM Butterworth, Penang Sentral and Penang Ferry Terminal

 

He added that most facilities are currently in good condition, while those requiring attention are being addressed.

 

“For instance, issues with malfunctioning lifts. When a lift is not operational, users have no alternative but to use the stairs, which can be challenging.

 

“These matters are being resolved through a station upgrading project that has been supported by the Federal Government and is expected to commence in the near future,” he said.

 

Zairil said the project is currently at the tender evaluation stage and will include the installation of escalators on both platforms, as well as the segregation of pick-up and drop-off areas at the KTM station.

 

It was previously reported that Transport Minister Anthony Loke announced that the Butterworth KTM station is slated for a RM30 million upgrade, aimed at transforming the station, together with the Butterworth Ferry Terminal and Penang Sentral, into an integrated public transport hub.

 

Zairil explained that at present, all pick-up and drop-off activities take place within a single lobby, resulting in traffic congestion. This has been one of the key complaints raised by users.

 

“By separating the pick-up and drop-off zones, traffic flow is expected to improve significantly,” he said.

8b1485b2 7af5 457a 87da f40222cc2c31
Passengers seen at the check-in/check-out counter

 

At Penang Sentral, he said MRCB has also implemented proactive measures to improve e-hailing operations.

 

“Previously, Grab pick-up and drop-off points were located on Level 8, which caused inconvenience for drivers navigating multiple levels.

 

“Moving forward, these services will be relocated to Levels 2 and 2A, with Level 2 designated for taxis and Level 2A for Grab, complete with dedicated waiting lobby areas,” he said.

 

Overall, Zairil said he was encouraged by the proactive initiatives undertaken by all relevant agencies.

 

“Should further complaints be received, they will be addressed accordingly. To date, cooperation among the agencies involved has been very positive, with no major issues reported,” he said.

 

Zairil added that the most challenging period occurred in November and December, coinciding with the holiday season and the aftermath of the incident, which caused significant inconvenience to users.

 

ccd7977b b246 4da7 bfe0 dc88ae6ba333
One of the platforms at the KTM Butterworth station

 

“During that period, passengers had to walk through areas without shelter or air-conditioning, which understandably caused discomfort,” he said.

 

Another concern raised by users, he said, involved the alignment of schedules between ferry services and KTM, Electric Train Service (ETS) and other modes of transport.

 

“Measures have been implemented to improve schedule coordination. However, as with any public transport system, particularly buses and ferries, occasional delays may still occur.

 

“Train services are generally punctual, with delays usually limited to a few minutes. Ferry services, however, may be affected by weather conditions or technical issues,” he said.

 

Zairil, who is also the Tanjung Bungah assemblyman, advised passengers to pay close attention to transport schedules and plan their journeys accordingly.

 

“While service providers strive to minimise disruptions, some delays are unavoidable. Allowing additional buffer time can help ensure a smoother and less stressful journey.

355c49af cc89 460b a879 629d133c4a0f
A passenger boards the komuter

 

“That would be my advice. However, if there are any complaints, the state government is ready to listen, and we will work together with all relevant agencies to resolve the issues,” he said.

 

Story by Tanushalini Moroter

Pix by Noor Siti Nabilah Noorazis