BAYAN Lepas assemblyman Datuk Azrul Mahathir Aziz has no plans to instal warning signboards along Tanjung Asam beach and its surrounding areas following an incident in which a child was believed to have been stung by a stingray on Jan 3.
He said the installation of warning signs could create fear among the public and, in turn, affect recreational activities in the area.
“Some parties have suggested putting up warning signs, but if this is done, people may become afraid to come here for leisure and picnics.
“When visitor numbers decline, the impact will also be felt by residents who run businesses such as food and beverage stalls, seafood sales and the like,” he said when met at Tanjung Asam here yesterday.

Commenting on safety risks, Azrul Mahathir said that every beach area inherently carries certain risks, and visitors only need to be more vigilant.
He added that there had been previous cases of visitors being stung by jellyfish, but those incidents occurred a long time ago and are very rare.
“Cases like this are actually uncommon, but until around March, I would advise visitors to be extra cautious.
“Local fishermen have informed us that it is currently the season of extreme low tide. Species such as stingrays remain in their natural habitat and do not follow the movement of the water, possibly staying in muddy coastal areas where there is a food source,” explained Azrul Mahathir, who is also the Deputy State Speaker.

He therefore advised members of the public who frequent the coastline from Teluk Bayu (Sungai Batu) to Tanjung Asam to remain vigilant about the presence of dangerous marine species such as stingrays.
Meanwhile, the young victim has since been discharged from the hospital and is reported to be no longer in pain.
Pix by Watawa Nataf Zulkifli