A TOTAL of 2,022 premises from the five districts in Penang suffered damage following Typhoon Lekima that lashed the northern states on Aug 9.
The figure was given by state Local Government, Housing, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo in an update today on the cleaning up work being done by the Penang Island City Council (MBPP).
“As of yesterday, the record shows that a total 2,022 premises in all the five districts in Penang suffered damage due to the typhoon.
“It is advisable for the owners of these premises to lodge a police report regarding the incident.
“This is to enable them to receive financial aid from various funds such as through the Implementation and Coordination Unit (ICU), National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) and the TYT Disaster Fund,” he told the media today.
According to Jagdeep as of August 13, a total of 222 premises in the whole of Jelutong have been affected by the storm.
“In the Datuk Keramat constituency (as of yesterday), 77 premises were affected by the Typhoon Lekima.
“We are currently assessing the damage in order for us to start helping out all the victims,” added Jagdeep.
Jagdeep commended the MBPP’s squad for their dedication in removing the fallen trees around the island.
“Till now, 239 locations on the island were affected by the typhoon which resulted in 258 fallen trees.
“Out of that, 256 trees have been cut (cleared) which brings to a percentage of 99.2 in terms of the performance rate (cleaning up). Those trees which had been cut and put by the roadside will be sent to the transfer centre at Batu Maung.
“I was informed that 92 percent of those tree waste (630.23 tons), have been brought to the transfer centre in Batu Maung.
“I would like thank the council (MBPP) and their squad for their tireless effort in clearing up the mess created by the typhoon.
“They have been working round the clock and I would like to extend my highest appreciation to them,” said Jagdeep.
Apart from that, Jagdeep said he was informed by MBPP mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang that the ongoing work could be completed by Sunday.
He added that a total of 958 MBPP staff members together with 67 machineries were involved in the cleanup on the island.
Also present was MBPP Urban Services Department director Mubarak Junus.
On a another matter, two families who lost their houses in the recent fire at Jalan Gemas and Kampung Dodol received some aid from the TYT’s Disaster Relief Fund.
Jagdeep and Jelutong MP RSN Rayer visited the fire accident site at Jalan Gemas today.
“Both the houses were totally burnt down in fire which broke out a few days ago at both the places.
“The victims (each household) were given a sum of RM5,000 from the TYT’s relief fund.
“On top of that, YB Rayer and I also contributed RM1,000 each to the affected families,” Jagdeep said after presenting the aid to the victims’ representatives Hasnah Ahmad, 62, and Foo Chia Keong, 70.
Story by Tanushalini Moroter
Pix by Nur Amirah Husna Roslan