SIXTEEN hawkers selling various foodstuff without licence in front of Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanjung Tokong in Penang were given the option to trade at other locations in view of a proposed drainage project to be constructed in the area.
Penang Island City Council (MBPP) alternate chairman Wong Yuee Harng said the council had earlier extended two invitations for these hawkers to attend interviews to occupy MBPP stalls.
“The hawkers need to move out as soon as possible as any delay will affect the local building plans,” Wong told a press conference on March 13 at the MBPP’s office at Jalan Padang Kota Lama in George Town.
He said the North East District and Land Office had asked the council to assist them in the relocation exercise.
“Due to this, MBPP has issued an invitation on March 14 for the third and the last time to all hawkers in front of Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanjung Tokong to be present for an open interview on March 26. We will give preference to them based on the availability of stalls.
Wong said the selling of food and drink within 40 metres from the school compound was prohibited for static hawkers, shift hawkers and temporary hawkers. He, however, said existing hawkers who were earlier permitted by MBPP could continue to do so.
“A new list of prohibited food and drinks will soon be given to all licensed hawkers outside the school compound for them to abide,” Wong said.
Story by Danny Ooi
Pix by Ahmad Adil Muhamad