MOTORISTS, especially those from Paya Terubong and Air Itam, will have an alternative road to travel once a section of the Bukit Kukus paired road project is open to the public next year.
State Public Works, Utilities and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari said the three segments (2.8km) undertaken by Penang Island City Council (MBPP) are scheduled complete in July next year, hence, it should be open in August next year.
“The other segments undertaken by Geo Valley Sdn Bhd (800m) and PLB Land Sdn Bhd (1.4km) are scheduled to complete in a few years.
“Aspen Group has taken over the segment contracted to Geo Valley Sdn Bhd,” he told a press conference after a site visit in Lebuh Bukit Jambul today.
He said MBPP had completed 1.2km of the total segments undertaken by the council. It is now working on the final segment.
A landslide at the construction site on Oct 19 last year killed nine foreign workers and injured four.
A stop work order was issued following the incident before it was lifted in January this year.
State Local Government, Housing and Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said this was the biggest project undertaken by MBPP over the years.
Also present was MBPP mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang.
Story by Edmund Lee
Pix by Chan Kok Kuan