Exco man urges Fed Govt to assist in maintaining housing schemes



THE Penang government has applied for an allocation of RM134.76 million this year from the Federal Government to assist in the maintenance of various housing schemes in Penang.

State Local Government, Housing, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the Penang government received RM15 million from the Federal Government last year and RM32 million was allocated for Penang in 2020.

“We have made an application to the Federal Government for an allocation of RM134.76 million this year. The application is to assist in the maintenance costs of several public and private housing schemes.

“We hope to receive positive feedback from the Federal Government,” he told reporters after inspecting the newly-upgraded lifts at Taman Lone Pine condominium in Paya Terubong today.

The two lifts at Taman Lone Pine condominium have been operating for about 26 years. They were upgraded in November last year.

Jagdeep said the upgrading works took about 16 weeks to complete.

“The total cost was RM118,400. The state spent RM94,720 (80%) of the total amount, while the Management Committee (MC) borne the remaining RM23,680 (20%),” he added.

Jagdeep urged the residents to pay their maintenance fees on time.

“Many projects which are beneficial to your housing scheme can be done.

Bukit Gelugor MP Ramkarpal Singh, who was present, thanked the state government for assisting in the lift upgrading project.

Paya Terubong assemblyman Yeoh Soon Hin expressed his gratitude to the state for improving the facilities of the condominium.


Story by Edmund Lee
Pix by Law Suun Ting