THE inaugural Penang Coffee Festival is slated to run from Sept 20 to Oct 13, spreading across different venues in Penang.
State Tourism, Arts, Culture and Heritage Committee chairman Yeoh Soon Hin said the remarkable coffee adventure was aimed to celebrate the diversity of a slew of traditional and exotic coffee all around the island and mainland, in addition to bolstering and encouraging the development of the coffee industry in Penang.
“The Pearl of the Orient will be transformed into an alluring coffee paradise that will engage, enlighten and entertain, brimming with a smorgasbord of coffee choices that are bound to spoil the crowd,” Yeoh told a press conference today during the launch the Penang Coffee Festival 2019 at Frank Laurent Coffee Roasters Restaurant at Udini Square in Gelugor.
Also present were Penang Museum director Haryany Mohamad, Frank Coffee Roasters Restaurant owner Ee Wen Zhe and Penang-born artist Azmi Hussin.
Yeoh added that from independent coffee houses that serve up creative brews to the much sought-after local bakeries which present delectable treats, the festival promises to showcase a vibrant, diverse and comprehensive coffee scene in Penang that is growing tremendously over the years.
“Other events happening during Penang Coffee Festival 2019 include ‘When Coffee Meets Art’, ‘The Coffee Lab’, ‘Boba Festival’, ‘Coffee & Art Week’, ‘Coffee & Reading Week’, ‘Coffee & Reading Week’ and ‘Coffee Music Party’.
“Whether you are a beginner, coffee connoisseur, coffee geek, or key industry stakeholder, there will be something for you at the festival.”
The events during the festival are as follows:
• The annual Penang Coffee & Desserts Festival (Sept 20-22, 10am-10pm at Gurney Paragon Mall)
• The Coffee Lab (Sept 28-29, 10am-10pm at Sunway Carnival Mall)
• When Coffee Meets Art (Sept 28-29, 5pm-10pm at Penang State Museum)
• Boba Festival (Oct 4-6, 5pm-10pm at Gurney Plaza)
• Coffee & Art Week (Oct 3-5 at Jetty35, Weld Quay)
• Coffee & Reading Week (Oct 11-13, Jetty35, Weld Quay)
• Coffee Music Party (Closing ceremony, Oct 13, 6pm at Seh Tek Tong Cheah Kongsi)
For more information about Penang Coffee Festival 2019, follow them on Facebook at Penang Coffee Festival.
Story by Danny Ooi
Pix by Noor Siti Nabilah Noorazis