Penang strengthens tourism strategies ahead of Visit Malaysia 2026

Admin
img 20251117 wa0023

PENANG is strengthening its tourism strategies through expanded international connectivity, enhanced digital platforms and wider promotion of tourism preparation for Visit Malaysia Year 2026, says state Tourism and Creative Economy Committee chairman Wong Hon Wai (PH-Paya Terubong).

 

Wong noted that Penang is now connected to 12 international cities: Bangkok, Hong Kong, Medan, Singapore, Jakarta, Surabaya, Banda Aceh, Phuket, Guangzhou, Taipei, Don Mueang and Ho Chi Minh City.

 

He added that another eight destinations were introduced over the past two years: Xiamen, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Dubai, Chennai, Yangon and Doha.

 

“Charter flights have also been added from Kunming, Haikou, Xian and Chongqing. This is part of our continuous efforts to spur the tourism sector. We did not wait for 2026 to begin work,” he said during his winding-up ceremony at the State Legislative Assembly today.

 

For the fourth quarter of this year, several airlines will launch new routes or add frequencies.

 

Wong said Sichuan Airlines will raise its Chengdu–Penang flights to daily, while Hong Kong Express will double its services from once daily to twice a day.

 

He added that TransNusa Airlines will launch its inaugural Jakarta–Penang service on Nov 24, while Batik Air will introduce new Medan–Penang and Singapore–Penang flights in December.

 

According to him, Scoot will also increase its Singapore–Penang frequency, and 9 Air has begun charter operations from Haikou.

The data clearly shows strong recovery and growth for Penang’s tourism sector,” he said.

 

He said the state’s approach is to expand tourism beyond the heritage zone.

 

“We are developing tourism products in Balik Pulau, Teluk Bahang and across Seberang Perai,” he noted.

 

He added that ThinkCity had been invited to display Seberang Perai promotional materials at the State Assembly corridor and would set up another booth at the Butterworth Fringe Festival on Nov 22–23.

 

Addressing eco-tourism in Kampung Labuh Banting, Wong said MBSP’s landmark installation was underway and expected to be completed by January 2026.

 

On a proposal to set Dec 5 as a public holiday for Kebaya Day, Wong said the state had no plans to do so, adding the strategy is to promote kebaya during suitable events and not to declare a new holiday.

 

He noted that the attire had already been highlighted during Chap Goh Mei 2025, Chingay 2024, the 2025 state-level National Day celebration and Penang Week at Osaka World Expo 2025.

 

On heritage villages, Wong said PLANMalaysia had completed its masterplan study, with Kampung Melayu Lama Air Itam currently the only village nominated for recognition under the National Heritage Act 2005.

 

Touching on Pesta Pulau Pinang, he said the annual fair will proceed from Dec 6 to Jan 10, 2026, noting the fair will give way to LRT construction until the project is completed in 2031.

 

On digital promotions, he said Penang Global Tourism is revamping the myPenang.gov.my portal into a comprehensive digital tourism platform, with a new user-friendly interface and multilingual content expected to be completed by December 2025.

 

He added that the Penang International Dragon Boat Festival will run from Nov 25–30 at Straits Quay Marina.

 

On international arts collaborations, Wong said there are no plans to bring the George Town Festival overseas due to currency and cost constraints.

 

He added that Penang Global Tourism continues to work with industry partners for initiatives such as the Penang Food Festival in Bangkok, and recently sent representatives to the Osaka World Expo and Chengdu cultural exhibitions.

 

 

Story by Edmund Lee