PENANG plans to notify incoming airline and cruise passengers that smoking is prohibited throughout the George Town Unesco World Heritage Site.
State Youth, Sports and Health Committee chairman Daniel Gooi said the state is engaging airlines and cruise operators to include a pre-arrival announcement on the smoking ban covering the 259ha heritage zone.
With tourist arrivals expected to rise during Visit Malaysia 2026 (VM2026), Gooi said many visitors remain unaware that the smoking ban has been enforced since 2016, while some locals continue to ignore the rule.
The heritage site was gazetted as a no-smoking area in 2015, covering all buildings and public spaces, except residential premises, with stricter enforcement now underway.
Between 2023 and Dec 23, 2025, enforcement officers issued 304 compounds to individuals caught smoking within the zone.
Offenders face an on-the-spot fine of RM250, with heavier penalties of up to RM10,000 or two years’ jail if the matter is taken to court.
Gooi said monitoring and enforcement by the state Health Department will be intensified, supported by additional signage and banners placed at strategic locations within the heritage area.
He added that designated smoking corners previously allowed within the zone have been phased out, following the enforcement of the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024 (Act 852), which took effect on Oct 1 last year.
Under Act 852, smoke-free zones have been expanded, while restrictions have also been imposed on sales to minors, product displays, advertising and promotions.