PENANG’s iconic entertainment tower, The Top at Komtar, has officially reopened to visitors today after a long closure due to the movement control order (MCO).
Only World Group (OWG) Holdings Berhad founder and chief executive officer Tan Sri Richard Koh said the reopening, however, only involves three out of 17 places of attractions available for now.
“They are Rainbow Skywalk, Jurassic Research Center and Penang Boutique Aquarium.
“We actually had a soft reopening on June 24 before officially opening today with the new operating hours from Wednesday to Monday, from 12pm to 10pm.
“At first, we are worried about the people’s response because we think they might be scared to come here due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The management also has suffered about 60% losses in revenue during the MCO.
“But, we are glad to see that the response from the visitors has been very encouraging so far and we hope it will continue,” Richard told Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow during his visit today.
Also present were Komtar assemblyman Teh Lai Heng, Pengkalan Kota assemblyman Daniel Gooi Zi Sen, Penang Island City Council (MBPP) mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang and OWG co-founder and chief operating officer Puan Sri Jean Koh.
Richard said The Top management also was strictly complying with the standard operating procedures (SOPs) to curb the Covid-19 transmission.
“The visitors need not worry as preventive measures such as social distancing, wearing of masks, the use of hand sanitiser and crowd control are fully implemented here.
“So, they can come here with their families and have fun with peace of mind,” he added.
State Tourism Development, Arts, Culture and Heritage Commitee chairman Yeoh Soon Hin previously announced that theme parks, including Escape and The Top, can now open with the exception of their water-based attractions.
The decision was made after receiving a confirmation from the National Security Council (MKN).
Richard added that the reopening of The Top also comes with special promotions and discounts for visitors.
“This includes the ‘3 attractions for 1 Price’ package with the entrance fees for adult and children now priced at RM38 and RM28 respectively, subjected to online purchase only. Previously it was RM75 for adult and RM55 for children.
“The promotion period for this package is from June 18 until July 18 this year.
“For further details regarding other promotions, please visit https://thetop.com.my,” he said.
Chow hopes that Penangites will give their full support to The Top reopening while adhering to the preventive measures to curb the spread of the virus.
During the visit, Chow and his entourage were briefed on the company’s direction and its operation during the recovery movement control order (RMCO).
Later, they were brought to the Top View Restaurant and Lounge to have a sumptuous lunch.
Story by Riadz Akmal
Pix by Law Suun Ting
Video by Darwina Mohd Daud