Additional RM1mil approved for Hindu crematorium project in Seberang Perai

img 5356

THE Penang Hindu Endowments Board (PHEB) has received an additional RM1 million allocation for the construction of a Hindu crematorium in Jalan Siram, Butterworth, bringing the total approved funding for the project to RM2.5 million.

 

Board chairman RSN Rayer said the initial RM1.5 million allocation was insufficient to fully implement the project, particularly given the cost of constructing the building and installing a modern incinerator.

 

“We are pleased that an additional RM1 million has been approved, bringing the total allocation for the project to RM2.5 million.

 

“With the original RM1.5 million, it would have been difficult because we need to construct the building and purchase a modern incinerator, which is costly. We must also ensure that it complies with the standards and has a modern filtration system, especially since it is located in an urban area,” he said.

 

Rayer said the additional allocation reflected the Federal Government’s commitment to ensuring that the needs of different communities and religions were addressed fairly and inclusively.

 

The additional funding was secured after Rayer and Bagan MP Lim Guan Eng wrote to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim seeking an increase in the allocation.

 

Meanwhile, Bagan Dalam assemblyman K. Kumaran said the additional funding would enable the board to proceed with the project, which would provide a modern cremation facility for the Hindu community in Seberang Perai.

 

He said preparations had been underway for the past six months, with consultants appointed and the open tender process carried out in accordance with government procurement requirements.

 

“The tender process has been finalised and the board has approved the appointment of a contractor. Letters have already been issued to the consultants, who will proceed with appointing the successful contractor to undertake the construction works.

 

“We expect construction of the building to begin in September, while about six months will be needed to procure the cremation equipment,” he said.

 

Kumaran said the facility would provide a more organised and modern alternative to traditional cremation methods.

 

He added that the project would include a modern incinerator and filtration system to ensure compliance with standards set by the authorities.

 

Lim, meanwhile, thanked the Federal Government for responding positively to the appeal for additional funding.

 

He said the additional RM1 million was justified given the high cost of constructing a modern crematorium.

 

“After the initial RM1.5 million allocation was approved, I wrote to the Prime Minister to request additional funding and I am grateful that the request was approved.

 

“The additional allocation is very important because the cost of building a crematorium is high. If similar crematorium projects can receive RM2.5 million, there is no reason why this project should only receive RM1.5 million,” he said.

 

The project will be Penang’s second modern electric crematorium, after the facility in Batu Lanchang on Penang Island.

 

Separately, Rayer said Dewan Seri Mariamman in Jalan Mengkuang, Bagan, would officially reopen on Sept 5 following extensive refurbishment works carried out over the past one to two years.

 

He said the reopening ceremony would be officiated by the local elected representative, together with councillors and PHEB representatives, after which the hall would be made available for public use.

 

The improvement works also covered the toilets, plumbing system, roofing and other facilities to enhance comfort and convenience for users.

 

Story and pix by Edmund Lee